Aberdeen Association Football Club took possession of the land in 1891, Pittodrie or Gallows Marsh as it was known was a former dung hill for police horses which was leased from Mr. Knight Erskine of Pittodrie, on a ten-year lease. (The club later purchased the ground, on the 01 Dec 1920 for £5,668.)
On the 02 Sept 1899, the ground was officially opened with the first game played a friendly, Aberdeen 7-1 Dumbarton, goal scorer's Aberdeen, Shiach 3, Gray 2, Fullarton 1, Dumbarton 1 (o.g.) - Dumbarton, Millar 1. Aberdeen's, Alexander "Alex" Shiach No 11 outside left was the first player to score and went on to score a hat-trick, scoring at both end's of the ground.
Aberdeen University Special Collections
engineering drawings of Pittodrie from 1899.
Area of current Pittodrie ground, plan for Pittodrie Park, home of original Aberdeen Football Club. In colour showing sections of ground to be removed. 1899. (MS 3860/776)
Original Aberdeen Football Club pitch [Pittodrie Park, 1899]: "Aberdeen Football Club - Sections of Recreation Ground at Merkland Road". 13 March 1899. (MS 3860/775/2)
The plans were found by the Aberdeen University Special Collections department when cataloguing the MacDonald maps and plans collection, which dates to the late 1800s.
Plan of Aberdeen Football Club ground, highlighted in pink, and surrounding area including Trinity Cemetery, Broad Hill, St Peters Cemetery and King Street. 1899. (MS 3860/774)
Sketch of Pittodrie as it was for the opening in 1899.
Pittodrie Sketch Feb 1900
On the 15th Aug 1903, the club merged with Orion FC and Victoria Utd FC to form the current Aberdeen FC. The new amalgamated Aberdeen FC played their first game at Pittodrie Park in the Northern League, Aberdeen 1 v 1 Stenhousemuir, goal scorer's Aberdeen's, William "Willie" McAulay No 10 (Captain), 1st half - Stenhousemuir's, Porteous 2nd half.
Pittodrie in the 1920's
Pittodrie in the 1920's
The old grandstand at Pittodrie in the 1920's
Aerial view of Pittodrie Stadium c.1929. Present day, Left: Main Stand, Bottom: Merkland Road, Right: South Stand and Top: Richard Donald Stand.
View from Broad Hill to Pittodrie Stadium, Richard Donald Stand and South Stand, 2015.
Pittodrie Stadium Map
The Main Stand was constructed in 1925, (In 1968 it had a re-development) which houses the club offices, dressing rooms and teams enter the pitch from a tunnel to the extreme left of this stand near the Richard Donald stand.
The South Stand was originally an embankment which was remodelled as a standing terrace, seating and a large single tiered cantilever roof were later added in 1978.
The King Street End Stand (Merkland Road Family Stand) had a roof added in 1934. On 09 Oct 1985 after the stand had been rebuilt the stand was officially opened with Aberdeen playing Dundee Utd in a League Cup semi-final second leg. Aberdeen 1 v 0 Dundee Utd, goal scorer Aberdeen's, Frank McDougall 68', No 9 center forward.
In the 1992-93 season the Beach End Stand on the east side of the ground was demolished, with the new two-tier Richard Donald stand with a row of executive boxes running across the middle, named after the club's long serving chairman constructed in its place at a cost of £4.5 million. On 10 Aug 1993, the new stand was opened with a League Cup 2nd round game, Aberdeen 5 v 0 Clydebank, goal scorer's Aberdeen, Shearer 3' (pen.), 69', 72', McLeish 49', Richardson 66'.
The Official opening of the Richard Donald Stand was on the 18 Aug 1993, attendance: 11,088 Friendly, Aberdeen 1 v 1 SV Hamburg, goal scorer's Aberdeen, Shearer 35' and Kostner Hamburg. Aberdeen won 3 v 1 on penalties scored by Kane, Miller and Booth.
10 Aug 1993
Aberdeen 5 v 0 Clydebank
Shearer 3' (pen.), 69', 72', McLeish 49', Richardson 66'
18 Aug 1993
Aberdeen 1 v 1 SV Hamburg
Shearer 35' and Kostner
Aberdeen won 3 v 1 on penalties scored by Kane, Miller and Booth.
09 Oct 1985
Aberdeen 1 v 0 Dundee Utd
Frank McDougall 68'
The Merkland Road Stand is Aberdeen FC’s family stand and currently named the Red Shed.
The King Street End Stand (Merkland Road Family Stand) (Granite Façade, built: c.1928)
The entrance to the stand is a façade constructed from granite, a local Aberdeen stone which has given Aberdeen the epithet The Granite City.
The King Street End Stand (Merkland Road Family Stand)
The Red Shed, was tested during the Scottish Cup clashes at Pittodrie during the 2019-20 season. It changed the The King Street End Stand (Merkland Road Family Stand) from a family sitting area to a standing area with flags and atmosphere. Aberdeen have announced the "Red Shed" will become a permanent fixture for the 2020-21 season, now postponed due to the COVID-19 crisis.
Aberdeen FC’s proposed £50 million stadium and training facilities at Kingswells, near Westhill, were approved by Aberdeen City Council in 2018.
Sir Alex Ferguson officially opened Cormack Park on the 31 Oct 2019, the new multi-million pound training complex,
community sports hub and Bobby Clark football academy at Kingswells, Aberdeen, AB15 8SP, Scotland.
(Named after current Chairman Dave Cormack, for his significant contribution to the project)
24 Apr 2020, Aberdeen have put plans for the new Kingsford Stadium at Kingswells, on hold due the COVID-19 crisis.
Pittodrie Stadium - Gallery
A.F.C Official's, Player's, match and staff details source: AFC Heritage - The Official Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust.
Header Background: Aberdeen Football Club, Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen, Scotland, 2015 - Copyright © 2015 Graeme Watson.
Insert Photo: View from Broad Hill to Pittodrie Stadium, Richard Donald Stand and South Stand, 2015 - Copyright © 2015 Graeme Watson.
Insert Photo: Pittodrie Stadium, Map - Copyright © 2020 Graeme Watson.
Insert Photo's: Pittodrie in the 1920's, The old grandstand at Pittodrie in the 1920's & Aerial view of Pittodrie Stadium c.1929 - Original B&W picture's - No copyright - attached.
Insert Photo's: Aberdeen Football Club Ground and Surrounding Area: Plan, MS 3860/774. N.p., 1899. Print. Beattie et al. Aberdeen Football Club - Recreation Ground at Merkland Road [Pittodrie Park]: Plans, MS 3860/775/2. N.p., 1899. Print. Aberdeen Football Club Ground: Plan, MS 3860/776. N.p., 1899. Print. Photo's courtesy of University of Aberdeen
Insert Photo: Pittodrie Sketch Feb 1900 B&W, Courtesy of Fraser Clyne.
(Clyne, Fraser (2012). The Aberdeen Men Can’t Play Football – An early history of football in Aberdeen, 1881-1903. J. Thompson, Glasgow.)
E-mail: Fraser Clyne
Aberdeen F.C. - Family/DNA
An un-official compilation of the family tree of Aberdeen Football Club's official's, player's and staff from 1881 to present from one personal family tree.